Angel Tellez Sacramento: 61-Year-Old Angel Barrios Tellez Died In Tragic Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Accident At Old North Sacramento Apartment Complex On Lampasas Avenue
SACRAMENTO, CALIFORNIA (January 24, 2019) – A 61-year-old man identified as Angel Barrios Tellez was pronounced dead in his first floor apartment due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Sacramento authorities are saying that the apartment is located on Lampasas Avenue. A PG&E technician arrived at the apartment to work on an unrelated issue. That technician later discovered Angel Barrios Tellez and contacted authorities.
Despite life-saving measures the victim was pronounced dead at the scene. There was a carbon monoxide detector located in the apartment, but it remains unclear if it was functional.
The entire apartment building was evacuated as firefighters worked to determine if there was an ongoing threat. Carbon monoxide can be deadly at 300 parts per million (ppm). The apartment where the victim was staying had a reading of over 400 (ppm).
Sacramento police are still investigating the death of Angel Barrios Tellez.
Liability In Carbon Monoxide Accidents
Apartment landlords have a responsibility to make sure that their premises are reasonably safe. According to the California Civil Code § 1714 subsection (a), “Everyone is responsible, not only for the result of his or her willful acts, but also for an injury occasioned to another by his or her want of ordinary care or skill in the management of his or her property or person, except so far as the latter has, willfully or by want of ordinary care, brought the injury upon himself or herself.” To this end, landlords must do periodic maintenance on appliances and carbon monoxide detectors to make sure they are functioning properly.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Carbon monoxide poisoning accidents kill an average of 430 people every year in the United States. Most accidents are caused by poorly ventilated household appliances such as cookers, heaters and central heating boilers. The gas itself is colorless and odorless. However, there are a number of symptoms associated with carbon monoxide poisoning. These may include vertigo, breathlessness, chest pain, seizures and loss of consciousness.
The family of of a victim that died in a car monoxide poisoning accident is able to seek justice through California’s Code of Civil Procedure 377.60. Damages in a wrongful death claim may include compensation for lost wages, loss of love, loss of companionship and pain and suffering. A premises liability attorney can conduct a free examination into your case and let you know what your options are. There are very strict statute of limitations associated with being able to file a claim. So it’s important to act quickly to make sure that your rights are being protected.
Investigating A Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Accident
We at West Coast Trial Lawyers extend our deepest condolences to the family of Angel Barrios Tellez as they are going through such a difficult time. What happened at this apartment complex is completely unacceptable. There needs to be a thorough investigation for the sake of the victim’s family and all of the tenants that lived there. Measures need to be put in place to make sure that this does not happen again.
If someone that you love has died in a carbon monoxide poisoning accident at an apartment complex you may have legal recourse. Our team of highly experienced personal injury attorneys are here to help in any way that we can. We are deeply committed to getting our clients justice after an accident. Whether you need a free investigation into your case or just have questions about your rights we are here for you. You’re always welcome to reach out to us at (888) 888-9285.